Monthly Recommendations: Aniversary



This will be my first month linking up with the Monthly Recommendations group from Goodreads. Each month they do a theme and ask everyone to give recommendations based on the theme. This month, though, is their 1 year anniversary! So this is kind of a recap tag covering the topics they have discussed over the past year. The group was created by Kayla from Kayla Rayne and Trina from Between Chapters- check out the group and recommendation links here!


An underrated book
A book about survival

  • Y'all, I freakin' love this book and hardly anyone else knows about it. It is a book about terrible things, but I read it in my freshman English class and we had such passionate debates...the depth of this story is amazing, and it fits both categories perfectly.

A book set in school
  • This book got renewed buzz a few years ago when the movie was released. I really can't even put into words what I love about this book, it's just infinite (you'll understand after you read it). My only regret is not reading in high school, because as much as I relate to it now I just know it would have been an even deeper connection had I read it then.

A creepy book
  • This book has been on my TBR for years, and I can finally cross it off thanks to Audible. I'm pretty sure it was made into a movie- as I had vague recollections of it, and was pretty sure certain bad things were going to happy...and they did :(

A trilogy
  • I'll be honest, I haven't read the third book of this trilogy yet. But the first two were SO good! Especially in today's climate where so many people are making an effort to read more diversely, I don't understand how this author is more celebrated! It's chick-lit-ish but deals with topics like culture and friendship and love and professionalism in meaningful ways. Each character is Hispanic, and it illustrates the different countries and political climates and social values that fall under that label. It's intruiging to see how they interact with each other and American culture in general (as they all meet in the US).

A book you think others should read 
ASAP/before the end of the year
  • My friend Tim wrote this awesome collection of short stories. It's a little dark and twisty and sooooo good! You can read my full review here, but truthfully the more I think about this collection the more I love it. I highly recommend, and how awesome to support a new author with so much promise!
  • More info on Tim's blog here

A fantasy book
  • I first heard about this book from John Green on the Vlogbrothers channel, who is friends with the author. I was a little late reading it, but it was one of the most creative plots I've ever read and I LOVED it. Looking forward to the upcoming movie. There are more in the series, which I haven't read yet, but probably will soon.

 A book with little to no romance
  • This book has divisive ratings on Goodreads, which I understand. I will admit that there is a turning point where the tone of the book changes completley, which is a little odd. However I found both sections of the book enjoyable if different. Part of the plat does included sex...but not romance...I still think it's a good fit for this category.

A stand-alone
  • This was my first Liane Moriarty book, although I know lots of people love her. It's one of my favorite books so far this year (complete review here).

Your favorite book friendship
  • I just read this before the release of the movie, and I think it's one of my favorite John Green books. Specific to this tag, I chose it because the main character is complaining about something and his friend says "You know your problem, Quentin? You keep expecting people not to be themselves" and gives this short speech that basically says how we all have flaws but deal with each other anyway. I loved that this guy called his friend out and was honest while still being like "Yeah you'r being dumb right now but we'll still hang out tomorrow."

A book set outside of the US, or that features travel/vacation
  • This book focuses on the lives of two Nigerian people- a woman and a man, who meet in school but end up seperating and traveling to different countries. It examines race, love, and is probably the best example of globalization that I've read.

A book with your favorite empowering female character
  • The characters of Scarlett and Melanie are some of my favorites in literature )yes, I'm choosing both of them). They are very different, and Scarlett isn't exactly a likeable character most of the time. But she is determined to survive and to thrive. Even if her values are sometimes shallow, she makes things happen. Melanie never lets life harden her- yes, she fights back but she remains good-hearted and steadfast in her beliefs. Their refusal to be emotionally broken is what inspires me.

Please check out the others who are linking up or join the group & share your own recommendations!

1 comment

  1. I actually think Bitterroot Landing looks creepy, but I do love the cover. It definitely draws me in. I had to watch Gone with the Wind when I was in 5th grade. I hate to say I didn't enjoy the movie, but then again, I was so young.

    ReplyDelete