Show Us Your Books Link-Up: November 2017



Yay, SUYB! This month was a pretty good month...a lot of books that were okay-ish but a few standouts.

This is really highly recommended in the foster care/adoption blogosphere. It was...okay. There was some helpful tips and coping mechanisms and information, but the presentation was a little dry and repetitive. I took some great notes but also had to force read parts.
★★★


This has been sitting on my Nook app forever. It was good, a good thriller for October. Some points were a little on-the-nose regarding descriptions and feelings...I like a little more subtext. But overall a good read with some disturbing moments (I skipped some of the violent, sexual descriptions).
★★★★
 

This book is standard John Green in a lot of ways, which I personally love! 

I know some people think John Green is over-hyped as an author; if that's you, I'm not sure this book will change your mind. I'd still go for it if you are really interested in an Own Voices depiction of OCD and anxiety, but much like real life a person is not separate from their mental illness...it's still very much his voice and style and story.

Personally, I really enjoyed this slightly different twist from a favorite author and will re-read soon. I also got my signed copy which is always nice :) 
★★★★★
 

This has been on my Nook app for ages...maybe a Nook Free Friday? It's a pretty typical supernatural YA novel, about a teen girl who is...basically a type of werewolf. It's okay, held the interest fairly well but I'm not in a rush to get to the rest of the series. 
★★★


This is a somewhat standard self-help Christian book...but there is a reason these keep getting published. It was good to read and remember what my focus in life should be (and it isn't popularity). I'd recommend for the right person at the right time...basically if this sounds like something you'd like to read, do it. If not, you're probably not missing out.  
★★★★

What have you been reading this month?
Link-up & share!

Life According to Steph

18 comments

  1. My sister bought Turtles All The Way Down and she is going to bring it with her when she comes for Thanksgiving next week so I can borrow it. I've never read John Green before but I am intrigued by this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea what Turtles All The Way Down was about, and I've actually never read anything by John Green, but I just added it to my TBR after your review. I thought Pretty Girls was such a good thriller and am excited to eventually read Slaughter's newest book once I'm in the mood for something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to a John Green event in October and so I have Turtles All the Way Down but I still need to read it. I love John Green's books!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am on the edge of just ordering Turtles All The Way down, because I can't stand that I haven't read it yet!!

    I'm reading The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter now, her style is interesting, and I'm waiting to see how this books turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started Turtles this morning on the train. Obviously I'd rather be devouring that than working today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Turtles - hard to believe that it's been so long between books from him. I went through a group study with Uninvited -- need to sit down and re-read it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John Green makes me swoon and I loved Turtles. So much.

    Pretty Girls was excellent but I always caution people before they read it because that was some disturbing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read anything by John Green but definitely adding this one to my TBR- it seems to be everywhere lately! Pretty Girls has been on my TBR for awhile, but I just haven't been in the mood for mystery/thriller lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pretty girls is on my kindle, so i'm glad you liked it! so is Turtles, can't wait to read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never read a John Green book. Many are on my TBR and I need to pick one to read. I enjoyed (seems weird to say that given what happens in the book) Pretty Girls. It is disturbing and I skimmed some of the more violent scenes too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed Pretty Girls, even though it was a bit graphic in parts. It seems like Turtles is a popular read this linkup! I added it to my to read list even though Green seems to be hit or miss for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started Uninvited but never finished it. It's not something you can read all at once.

    I don't think I finished Pretty Girls? I don't actually remember lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard good things about Uninvited. I might have to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm actually really curious about Uninvited!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to reading Turtles all the Way Down - I've enjoyed a few of his books and this one sounds unique too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw a blogger doing a book study on uninvited with her daughters and thought it was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any John Green! I know I know! haha I need to get on it soon. I have some of his older ones on my shelf, and I need to get to them for sure. ;) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I have Pretty Girls on my list, but haven't felt the need to grab it yet. Turtles All The Way Down is definitely on there though and I haven't read a bad review yet!

    ReplyDelete