Words are Weird

I'm a reader, and a kind-of writer or blogger or whatever you call it. I tend to enjoy words. Not just words put together to form a book but words in general.

Words can be super weird. The same word can mean different things, or change meanings over time. Or just mean different things in different countries- or different parts of the same country!

In fact, while this post was sitting in draft this video about words that changed meanings was posted on Mental Floss and Amber from The Sensible Mama did a collab with a northern friend that resulted from confusing everyday conversations.

This comes up a lot in the Facebook groups in I'm in for Bullet Journaling. It's hard to define a bullet journal for a lot of people. I think this is because it is a combination of several things, and each person can add or subtract or prioritize different aspects of it. But it came up in a conversation that the word "diary" means different things in the USA and the UK.

Here in the US we typically use diary to refer to a journaling of thoughts, sometimes daily. Apparently in the UK is refers to what I would call a planner- a system of organizing events and dates usually following a calendar method.

There's no real point to this.

Just...it's worth considering when having a conversation I guess.

Semantics matter to a lot of people. It can affect things.

It's hard for me sometimes- especially when "discussing" things with Tank. Or at work when I'm training people. I have forwarded emails to my supervisors with the apology "Hello, XYZ problem, but I have run out of ways to say this. Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated."

I  can't do that with Tank...but sometimes I need to.

I need to figure out how to use words and understand them better, even when they don't make sense.

2 comments

  1. I love words. I usually have a different favorite every week. I think about meanings and how i use words a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Language is hard. One of my favorite quotes is, "Words don't mean things, people do." It was in one of my Comm books in college and it still resonates with me to this day.

    ReplyDelete