Show Us Your Books: September 2016



 This month has been pretty good, reading wise. I've enjoyed almost everything I've read...so let's just get straight to it.




I really enjoyed this, I have been experiencing major Dr Who withdrawl since they took it off Netflix :( There were a few editing errors in the beginning that worried me, but it was fine the rest of the book. This is actually two stories and while different, I feel like they both captured the spirit of the characters. I LOVE the Ponds and their relationship with 11, so this was right up my alley. Also...how freakin' gorgeous is this cover? It's the TARDIS!!!




Hubs & I enjoy the show Castle, although we have not watched it consistently. The book was...good. I think it was better because I could see the TV characters and that actually made it more likeable (similar to the Dr Who book)- I don't know if I would have liked it as much without already having affection for the characters and a feel for the world.




Y'all, this book was such a fun read! Seriously. That makes it sound cheesy and fluffy, which it wasn't. It was written very conversationally, like you were talking to a close friend. Some of the women I had heard of, and some I hadn't. I appreciate that she acknowledged the women's flaws and acknowledged that they weren't always great people just because they made a great difference. I highly recommend this one.





OMG. Y'all. Jana & Steph (who host this link-up and the podcast The Armchair Librarians) have been talking about this book for a while. And...it totally lived up to the hype. Joe is...sick. But there were also times when I totally went "Yep I know a guy who would think like that." I think that is what makes it so creepy- the fact that Joe sometimes seems like just a slightly creepy/sexist guy, then an almost good loving boyfriend, and then a complete fuckin' psycho. And back again...I'm waiting on the second book from the library (not holding my breath, because You was 3 weeks overdue when I finally got it and Hidden Bodies is also...now overdue).




This book was a random choice from the used bookstore, I thought it would be a good summer read. And it was a fine, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. It was the type of book that doesn't have a specific climax or purpose...and sometimes that's pleasant. Other times you just sort of wonder why the author felt this was the story worth writing. 


What have you been reading lately? Link-up & let us know!

Life According to Steph

15 comments

  1. Scandalous Women sounds awesome!!! Adding it. I also love Doctor Who but... I don't think I'd want to read a book about it. As much as I want to enjoy Fanfiction, I usually don't. Do you guys have Amazon Prime? It's available there (as I delightedly discovered a couple weeks ago).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked You!

    I don't really read nonfiction as a rule, but Scandalous Women seems like one I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the You minority as I didn't really enjoy it. It seriously bummed me out because I expected to love it! LOL! I'm not a big fan of non-fiction outside of self-help, but Scandalous Women sounds intriguing. And I like their honesty too. Some people may achieve great things but aren't necessarily a great person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i need that doctor who book in my life! i love the ponds and 11 too, though rose and 10 are my faves. i only found out they took it off netflix after the fact and i was sad i didn't get to watch it for the 40 billionth time before they did haha.
    i enjoyed/hated You. haha. Joe was definitely sick! i didn't love the second one though.
    i used to love Castle, watched a few seasons but then got over it. didn't know it was a book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Doctor Who book is so pretty! I have some of the fiction Doctor Who books, but they don't have that lovely cover. I'm also in withdrawal since they took it off Netflix, and I will have to get Amazon Prime eventually to watch it. I so wanted to like You, but it didn't click with me. I'll keep looking for a thriller that works for me :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked YOU! Hidden Bodies wasn't quite as good but it's Joe so there's that.

    Scandalous Women sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i tried hard to like You but I just couldn't get into it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to get my act together and read You soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. whoa... checking out you.
    and that sounds really funny ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked You but I enjoyed Hidden Bodies even more. Joe is psycho!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would totally love Scandalous Women. What a fun idea to do a book on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really need to watch Dr. Who and Castle someday! Seriously, I'm so behind! I want to read You but am now looking into Scandalous Women - sounds so fun! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scandalous Women sounds like a book that I would enjoy immensely. Must read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved You and I should really read Hidden Bodies before too long!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. Your blog disappeared from my Feedly and I thought you were just off doing Mom things and reading when you could but I realize now it was a glitch in the Matrix and well, problem solved.
    2. You freaked me out and I didn't like. Probably because Joe seemed plausible and because Joe annoyed me and Beck was vapid. Hard pass on the sequel.

    ReplyDelete