Show Us Your Books: February 2018



Shout-out to Teh Megan for lending audio books & vastly upping my amount this month...bloggy friends FTW!

First things first: this didn't quite rip me to shreds the way her previous book What I Never Told You Did. This could be because I couldn't devour it in one sitting the way I did the first book, or because it ends slightly more hopeful (in my opinion). But holy hell. This book examines family and friendship and the feminine experience and specifically mothers and daughters in a billion different complex and thoughtful ways. The adoption situation was really difficult to consider given that we are hoping to be licensed for foster care any day now.
★★★★

Again, a book that examines family and love and friendships and culture and fame and sexuality in an intensely personal and thoughtful way.  Not at all what I expected- but in a great way. It was deep and I loved it.
★★★★★

I'm not sure how much I can say about this that hasn't already been said. It's touching, it's relevant, it's a story about family and friendship and tragedy. I avoided it for a while because I thought it would be hard to read, and some of it was. There were parts that were shockingly normal and parts that were heartbreaking- that juxtaposition felt like a poor writing choice at first and then felt very intentional as I thought about it. It's a roller coaster of emotions- I laughed and cried and agreed and questioned. Read it.
★★★★★



★★

 The Arrangement by Sarah Dunn
Now this was a somewhat chic-lit done correctly (see below DNF for context). It was complicated and flawed and weird. I love stories that show the little hidden lives of different people in the community, all these tiny gems that are so easy to miss in real life. It looses points because there were two arcs that I didn't feel were necessary- not because they were bad or frustrating, they just added nothing to the overall narrative. One went on too long but got nowhere, and one was a single chapter that again went nowhere. They seem to be included to showcase more varieties in relationships, which I like, but these were not done well (especially noticeable in a novel where that exact thing was done brilliantly for at least 3 other couples). But overall a good read and one of the first books in a while I have breezed through with pure enjoyment.
★★


What have you been reading lately? 
Link-up & let us know!
Life According to Steph

17 comments

  1. I have the Arrangement on my TBR. I absolutely loved Evelyn Hugo and Hate U Give. Little Fires is on my TBR too, I have actually not read anything yet by the author but I know so many people who love her so I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these, but I do own The Hate U Give so I need to make time for that. Thanks for sharing!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. lying about being pregnant to get time off?! WTF? no thank you.
    glad you liked Evelyn Hugo, love that one. i liked little fires everywhere, haven't read her other one, but it's on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing all the reviews of Litle Fires, I was on the edge of quitting it, because like you, I loved Everything I never told You and I was measuring it with that stick.. which is not fair.

    I'm going to check out Love That Boy, it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked The Hate U Give and Little Fires Everywhere too as well as Evelyn Hugo!!! I'm only asking because I'm totally curious and would love to do this - but how do you lend audiobooks? On audible?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evelyn Hugo was so good. In fact, I started rereading it yesterday because I had some time to kill and totally got sucked in. Little Fires Everywhere and The Hate U Give are both on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Arrangement and Seven Husbands are on my TBR. I loved The Hate U Give but completely understand your reasons for initially holding out on it. I also loved Little Fires, and am anxious to read her first novel! (And I'm tired of the flailing 30 year old trope too, especially since I'm 30-something and have my shit together!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You basically have every book on here that is on my MUST READ LIST :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always look forward to seeing what you've read/your reviews! I finally just added Little Fires Everywhere to my TBR, I don't think I'll read it for a while, but it sounds really good. The Arrangement sounds like it could be really fun for something on the lighter side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the first three.

    I have considered The Arrangement, but I'm not sure I'll read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first three are all outstanding books.

    I stay away from parenting books as much as possible. I tried to read a couple when my daughter was younger and they just bored me and/or made me feel bad. I just wing it now and feel way more confident.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Flailing 30 year olds" is definitely a sub-genre. Some are well done but most are not. A lot of us had to get our act together BEFORE 30.

    Little Fires didn't rip me apart and wasn't as sad as her first book, but it was more depressing in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything I Never Told You really got to me, too. I thought about it long after I finished the book. Although I really enjoyed EINTY, I was leery about LFE just because of how heavy EINTY was. I'm glad LFE was a different type of story.

    I will be reading The Seven Husbands... soon. Glad to hear your thoughts on it. I'm not sure I've heard anyone say anything negative about it. That's something I really like about Taylor Jenkins Reid - her consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm on a never-ending wait list for Little Fires at the library. Loved Hate U Give and Evelyn Hugo! Arrangement sounds great too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love That Boy sounds like a book I would really like. I'm going to add it to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hooray for books!!!
    How the shit do you fake being pregnant? The idea of it makes me annoyed.

    ReplyDelete