Show Us Your Books Link-Up: March 2016


Time for the show us your books link-up!

I did much better than my 2 books for last month, coming in at 5 this month. TBF, one of these was an audio book (hubby & I have an Audible account and switch off months). But it still counts!
 
Even better, all of these books met one of my 2016 Reading Goals! They either meet my Diversity Reading Challenge, or my challenge to get rid of my IRL TBR shelf. 

 












 












 


 I purchased this book a while back because I felt like I should be able to say I've read some Hemingway. Gotta admit, after all the hype I'm sort of just sitting here going "Eh." He definitely has a specific writing style. It took a minute to get used to...but eventually I almost enjoyed it. Noteworthy- I often dislike reading war books, as it's hard for to keep up with the location and timing of things. These details of the surrounding culture are very important and add to the story, so I blame myself for missing some of this story. I can't say I necessarily liked or enjoyed the main character....he was okay, but didn't grab me. And his girl was super annoying honestly...but no one deserved that ending! WTF?! Ugh. I just couldn't.





 
I picked this up because it also covers one of my Diversity Reading Challenge requirements- strong character with a disability. Helen Keller is probably the most famous disabled person, and it almost felt like cheating since for some reason I feel like this was meant to search out newer works. But that isn't specified, so I got over it. This is a pretty short version, apparently (only 150 pages), I did not realize until I purchased it. Whoops. Anyway, it's really interesting to read about the different techniques Helen and her instructor used to communicate and learn. Her love of reading and gaining knowledge really connected with me. 

Have you read any of these? If so, what did you think?





Life According to Steph

9 comments

  1. I always feel bad when I didn't like a classic book, but sometimes it just doesn't mesh! I'm not a huge fan of Hemingway and I loathe everything by John Steinbeck. They might be "good" stories or "good" writing objectively but reading them makes me miserable and I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Lola too! I agree that it felt like a realistic love story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked Lola! And yes, I would rather be Lola's friend than be Lola herself too. She's actually my least favorite protagonist of Perkin's characters. Not that I don't like her because I totally do! And YES YES YES to her family dynamics. Aren't they great! I love her dads and how they handled everything with her mom and just - AH! I want to be them when I'm a parent someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, i really don't even remember that part about the Lola book lol. I remember really liking it when I read it.
    i know nothing about helen keller, i will have to check out that book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hemingway is difficult. He's definitely about the story and is an iceberg writer - what you see on the top is only the tip, it goes very far below and you need to find your way around down there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lola sounds really interesting and I'm adding it to my reading list. I'm not a huge Hemingway fan either. I sometimes feel bad but many of the classic great writers don't really appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. one of my reading goals for this year is to read more classic literature. I've got a few Hemingway and Faulkner books on my list. I got around to reading Fahrenheit 451 last fall and was glad I finally read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading classic literature is a perpetual reading goal of mine that I never accomplish.

    This is quite an eclectic mix of books. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I commented on another blogger's post that I've been feeling the urge to finally read some Hemingway. I'm not really a "classics" girl, but ol' Ernest has been whispering to me to give him a chance.

    ReplyDelete