Show Us Your Books: December 2017


It's the last SUYB of 2017!!

Actually, that's not true- because in a few weeks on Dec 26th there is the 2017 Favorites link-up.

There are many more books on that list than this one...apparently I've been a bit of a slacker lately.

This book...made me think SO MANY THINGS. It's about a Catholic priest who breaks his vow of celibacy. It discusses sex and religion and while there are things that are obviously sacrilegious and hard for me to handle...it's also a freakin' beautiful look at faith and love and lust and grief and responsibility and sexuality and...a completely worthwhile read. It's rare to see a true mix of secular living and desire so fiercely intertwined with a soul deep faith. Full disclosure- I'm not Catholic. But I don't think you have to be to get something from this story- if you have ever felt at all close to a God or a religion, or are curious, it's there.


Dysfunctional family with secret letters hidden in books, which are taking over an old house. I put this on hold literally within 60 seconds of reading the description, which proved to be a solid life choice.



What have you been reading this month? 
Link-up & let us know!
Life According to Steph

15 comments

  1. OMG I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKED PRIEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always get nervous recommending that book cause... you know...lol ;-) Like... gah! So good and interesting, right? It's actually the only book I've connected to when it comes to my time when I worked at a church and my choice to leave. The sequel is really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might turn around and put both of these on hold immediately.

    One of my major issues with catholicism is celibacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these books sound super intriguing and I am adding them to my list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh both of these DO sound really good. I'm definitely curious about Priest, especially having grown up Catholic.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover of Swimming Lessons looks familiar to me but I don't think I ever knew what it was about- sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these sound very interesting - the secret letters in books sounds like something my family would do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wanted to read Swimming Lessons for awhile. I even requested it from NetGalley but they never answered me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Priest sounds very interesting - adding it to my TBR. Sadly, I wasn't in love with Swimming Lessons. I don't exactly remember why I wasn't wowed but remember that I expected more. I'm glad you liked it though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just put Swimming Lessons on my to read list! Sounds like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. swimming lessons sounds fabulous. adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I'm adding Swimming Lessons to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is everybody writing dysfunctional families books? I should write my own!

    I'm going to add swimming lessons to my list.

    ReplyDelete