Show Us Your Books Link-Up: May 2017



Y'all. It's almost May. Whew. I'm excited about this.

Anyway. You know the drill by now. Here are all the books I've read since last month's link-up. Feel free to comment and/or link-up yourself :)

It was a little odd in the beginning because it felt like it was going in two different directions- one part seemed to focus on the hen weekend and personal relationships, and the other part focused on the mystery. Then at some point there were two mysteries- the accident and then the Claire-Le/o/nora relationship. So it was fine, good for it's genre. Definitely worth reading if you like that style, although personally I may be a little over the unreliable narrator thing (and I didn't even read Gone Girl). 


This book was really good. Each chapter is a person from a different generation of the same family. Some of the family splits and one part ends up staying in Africa while another part is taken to America as slaves. It was really intriguing but a little confusing. Not only with the generational skips (there was family tree in the beginning of the book that helped with that) but with the different tribes in Africa and how they kept coming back together, splitting, coming back together. I do love that it tackled race and sex in so many different ways- there were arranged marriages, marriages for love, cheaters, mixed raced children, someone who passed (meaning a light-skinned black person who "passes" themselves off as white), a gay man who couldn't come out...it was a good variety of the human condition. If I could have sat down and read it through instead of reading sporadically (which is how I have to do it now) it probably would have gotten the 5 stars everyone else gave it instead of 4.


You may have heard about the incident that sparked this book- Lenora Skenazy let her 9 year old ride the New York subway by himself and was dubbed "America's worst mom." Basically, "free-range" is the opposite of helicopter parenting. She argues that kids are actually safer today than generations ago, even though parents worry way more, and encourages fostering independence for the sake of both parents and children. I really enjoyed this book a LOT and will be writing a separate post for it soon.

Eh. I liked parts of this story, but it was kind of weird. It's just one of those books where there isn't a specific point- there are big events and small ones and it's basically just the story of a man's life. It's good...but I kind of wish I had known the rhythm going in.

I feel like I've been reading a lot more than normal...but two of these were audiobooks from the library. And I've been reading Bringing Up Bebe for weeks now (spot reading, remember?) which I enjoy a lot also. The review for that one will be doubled-up with the Free Range book since they share some similar points.

What are you reading? Link-up & let us know!
Life According to Steph

16 comments

  1. Looking forward to your review of the parenting books! Homegoing looks really interesting. My reading has been almost entirely YA BS books lately, so I need to start branching out again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear such varied opinions on the Storied Life book... reviews all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am adding Free Range to my list. I loved Storied Life so much, but I think you have to be in the right mood for it. I hope you are enjoying Bringing Up Bebe. I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding Free Range to my list! It sounds so interesting! I liked Storied Life ok -- it was definitely a quick little read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read Storied Life and In a Dark Dark Wood. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen mixed reviews for A Dark, Dark Wood, although it tends to get more praise than The Woman in Cabin 10. I'd still like to give it a shot. And yes, I'm getting a little tired of the unreliable narrator too. It's becoming too common and feels like a requirement these days. Homegoing and The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry are both already on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so curious about the Free Range Kids books, especially since I feel like we grew up in a free range world! I'll give it a try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally support non helicopter parenting. AKA how things used to be. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homegoing has been on my list for ages, hopefully i'l get to it soon. Ruth Ware's books are also on my list. free range kids sounds super interesting, i'll add it to my list to read when i have kids lol. i am so sad you didn't love AJ Fikry. One of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely got to a point last year where I was sooo over the unreliable narrators in suspense novels too! Homegoing and Storied Life are two of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, but it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. In a Dark Dark Wood was good too, but I feel like I've read a bunch of books just like it since then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was interested to read your perspective on AJ Fikry. Everyone else is obsessed with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homegoing was one of my favorite books from last year! I Just thought that it was so well done, and that it was unique being that each chapter was from a different person's perspective in the family. I was glad that the family tree was included because I don't think that I would have been able to keep everything straight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed Homegoing too. Well written! I have not read a book by Ruth Ware yet. So, she is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of these yet, but I am excited to. I've heard great things about most of them. :) By the way, you might check out your Disqus profile. I'm not sure if the link in it is correct. But Disqus is also being spotty, so you never know! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  16. AJ Fikry is on my to read this for this month. I liked The Woman in Cabin 10 and just picked up a copy of In a dark dark wood second hand.

    ReplyDelete