Show Us Your Books Link-Up: August 2017



You guys, this month totally crept up on me. Didn't we JUST do July's SUYB?

Anyway. Pretty good reading month here. Officially hit my yearly goal, which is great because between the FtA* classes/paperwork and school starting later this month, I have no clue how my reading will look for the rest of the year.

foster-to-adopt


★★★★
This book was good. I've seen some  reviews that it was too easy to guess the plot. I actually didn't guess and had a different idea in mind (although, I really don't like to try to guess the plot, I want the story to just unfold). It was good but kind of solidified the idea that crime/thriller isn't really my genre anymore (it used to be my favorite).


★★★★★
 This book was so good! Noah just has such a good conversational style. I really appreciated the way he framed the story- he talked about apartheid and racism and poverty in a logical way that was insightful without being self-pitying. Even when talking about very difficult situations, it was all presented very matter-of-factly. It wasn't dry or impersonal- riveting, in fact- but subtle. He just has a great way with words. Probably my favorite read of the month.


★★★★
This book is Albertalli's long-awaited follow-up to Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda. It's not really a second of a series, although Simon and another character are slightly involved in this story. It's more like they exist in the same world versus following the same characters. Personally, I thought Simon was okay but it didn't live up to the hype. This story was more my style, and I enjoyed the main character a lot more. Plus, Reid is the cutest. YA is not my favorite genre, and this one did have a few moments where the teen...not even drama, but exaggeration of everything, was a little much but a lot of topics were handled well and felt authentic.


★★★★
This book is actually a combination of 5 stories. Rivers wrote fictional accounts of the 5 women in the lineage of Jesus Christ (Matthew X). I had actually never realized that these women were all tied to Christ or each other, and that was really interesting to think about. The stories of Rahab & Ruth were my favorites. While this definitely has a Christian theme, it's five stories of historical women that I think anyone could enjoy. Also, while I know that the Bible is full of "messed up" people, it was really interesting to realize that nearly every woman listed in the lineage of Christ had a tie to prostitution or a questionable background...for some reason the idea of all that scandal leading to the one sinless person is wonderfully ironic to me and I can't help imagine how some super conservatives would try to explain that away...


★★★★
This book. So darn adorable. Made me yearn for rainy fall nights and blankets and a hot toddy. Also to live in a country that prioritizes health and a work/life balance. Since I can't move to Europe, must buy more tea. 

Overall,  a pretty great reading month. I enjoyed everything and would recommend all!

What have you been reading? Link-up & share!
Life According to Steph

18 comments

  1. I actually started a SUYB post and then I forgot all about it. Womp womp. I've been reading 1 or 2 books a month so rolling it over to next month won't make the post excessively long. :P

    Born a Crime looks super interesting. I think I'm going to see if my library has it on audio - from your description it sounds like it would be a good choice for that format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't really like to try and guess a plot either, though sometimes my brain just does it haha. i haven't read before i go to sleep but i accidentally read a spoiler a year or so ago, so i'm waiting to forget about it completely before i read the book. we'll see. i did not love the simon book, but you've got me curious about the upside of unrequited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont think I have heard of any of these books so I am off to go read all their plots on goodreads :) Seems like you had a good month of books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any time I see a clip of Trevor Noah, I think I should watch his show. Is it still even on, though? Either way, he seems like a funny guy with a great story. Glad his book was good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Before I Go to Sleep. The Little Book of Hygge sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Trevor Noah, but didn't even know he had a book. Will definitely have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never actively try to guess twists - if I do, I do, but I don't go into books with that mindset. I will never understand people who go in trying to figure something out and then are disappointed that they have. Just my little tangent off of your words on Before I Go to Sleep (which I enjoyed!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED Before I go to Sleep... dont watch the movie though. DUMB. SO DUMB. They take out like 75% of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like Trevor Noah but haven't read his book. I might one day.

    I don't attempt to guess plot twists. Sort of takes the fun out of it. But. When I do, I get very proud of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't help myself but I do try to guess plot points. I would probably like some books more if I didn't. :D I've seen a lot of praise for Trevor Noah's book. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Francine Rivers books, but haven't had the chance to read The Lineage of Grace series yet. I'll definitely have to check it out. And I didn't love Before I Go To Sleep when I read it, even though it definitely kept me guessing until the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Books about hygge are just so comforting...I'm ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have Before I Go To Sleep on my TBR but like you, thrillers used to be my fave and it's just not anymore, so I've been pushing it aside for others. I've only read Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers and though I'm not really into Christian lit, it's one of my favorites. Adding this one to my TBR. I've adored the idea of Hygge since I first heard of it last year. Sounds like a good one for fall/winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read Before I go to Sleep years ago and totally loved it. My husband and I just watched the movie a couple of months ago and it was also good. I love reading about Hygge but haven't read that book yet :) I feel the same as you about Trevor Noah's book - it was so interesting and entertaining! I listened to it on Audible and loved his narration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really want to read Trevor Noah's book. I also have Hygge on my shelf, but have been waiting for slightly cooler weather to crack it open. Though maybe I ought to read it now....and prep! hehe Here from SUYB. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Danish book has been on my radar for a while. I will definitely be picking it up this fall! A Lineage of Grace sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm looking forward to reading Born a Crime but I have heard it's excellent on audio...decisions, decisions. Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My book club read Born a Crime too. I really enjoyed it and wished I had listened to the audio version because my friends said it was so entertaining to hear him use different voices & accents.

      Delete