Mid-Month Update: September 2017


  • Guys, I have become a somewhat annoying person. I use cloth diapers (well, for the baby obviously), I want to move to using cloth napkins (I do this 50/50, not the rest of my family though), I carry a reusable bag folded up in my purse, I bought silverware specifically for work so I don't use plastic...and now I brought a plate to work. So I don't have to use paper towels to heat up frozen things (which is gross and ineffective anyway). I'm hardly a super green person, but it's nice to realize I'm doing little things. Future goals: reusable sandwich bags (open to suggestions), and reusable trash bags (we have one of these to hold the cloth diapers between washes, and it's great- plus "grocery store" bags are slightly too little for our bathroom trash can so stuff always falls behind it/on the floor and these are big enough to actually fit where we need them). 

  • People judging other people during emergency situations is about to make me LOSE IT. Someone posted a picture about filling your washer with ice (will keep cold and water has somewhere to go when it melts), and the picture showed a can of Coke peeking out from between ice. Apparently this indicates "poor priorities" in an emergency. If you can think that, you have clearly never been in an emergency in the Southeast. It could easily be 80-90 degrees once the storm passes, and (at least in my area) we could be expecting flooding from runoff while power outages are ongoing from the storm itself- which leads to lugging around sandbags to build walls, throwing entire houses full of items into trucks and vans and over to storage units outside of flood plains. Yes, some cold caffeine matters. If you don't understand that...consider yourself incredibly blessed that you have never experienced a situation where a Coke made that big of a damn difference

  • Also, this storm has proven that I am officially old and boring. I listened to a 22 minute emergency briefing from NC Governor Roy Cooper along with other weather/emergency management officials...and I found it super interesting. 

  • I was doing really well with school, and now I have a homework problem that makes NO SENSE. I swear, I really think the question must be wrong. That happens, right?

  • We are finished with the FC/A classes! We still have about a million other things to do (fingerprints, proof of insurance, etc) but we will get there eventually.

  • Sometimes Hubs is such a great parent that it makes me feel a little bad. I think we just have different strengths/priorities- but for the sake of Babycakes that's a good thing. He focuses on stuff that I tend to brush off, but Babycakes responds really well sometimes which makes me step back and re-evaluate. I don't mean this in a "poor me" way...but it's kind of great to have such a good co-parent. I'm thankful he is around, for both me & Babycakes.

  • I forgot that I actually can get through books pretty quickly. I was worried that between the FC/A stuff and starting classes I wouldn't be able to devote much time to reading- but I also forgot that reading is my way of escape when feeling stressed. This weekend was the first one in over a month where we didn't have FC/A classes to go to, and I didn't do much around the house. Dinner was frozen lasagna, Babycakes & I went on two walks, visited the library, and took long naps. I also managed to finish a book in less than 24 hours. It was a much needed "pause."

What's new with you lately?

7 comments

  1. I hate that people seem to have no better things to do in life besides bitch about VIRAL PICTURES ON THE INTERNET!?!?! Ugggghhh.

    Someone on blog land suggested this stuff as a replacement for plastic wrap, which could maybe work for your sandwich bags? https://www.beeswrap.com/ I just use the cheap rubbermaid sandwich bowls and then there is no waste. I also put chips/etc in the bowls so no bags needed.

    All the LOLS to the 20 minute broadcast being interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've might steal this idea because I've been trying to think of what to do for a blog post this week! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The amount of judgement that goes on with people that have no clue how it is in the south with tornadoes and hurricanes is infuriating. I saw lots of people comment about why didn't all of these people just leave? Umm it isn't that simple of a decision! And in some cases people cant just leave. They may not have the money, or a place to go. The traffic to get out or the fact that gas in sparse could be an issue. There are just so many factors to consider. Or what people buy to prepare with or any of it. It gets out of hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like bee's wrap sandwich bags (best for actual sandwiches though, not many other things).

    I have and use these daily for various components of my take to work food. They are dishwasher safe: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E97DRY0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I have one of these for storage and am looking to get more. I like it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8KX599/ref=asc_df_B01M8KX5995169462/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B01M8KX599&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216506159181&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7402318812304046440&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007283&hvtargid=pla-349338973376&th=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! your first bullet makes you sound like superwoman, not annoying at all. I bring shakes for lunch everyday so it's super easy to wash mason jars and blender bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If anyone has a problem with you using reusable products, that's on them and not you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, the judging thing! I've seen people complaining like "So and so has a bajillion dollars. How can they only give 1 million?!" Ummm, did you give anything at all??? And it's weird how they're not judging all the billionaires who sat around and didn't help - just the ones who did help but "not enough." It's like by doing something you open yourself up to criticism but if you do nothing, you're invisible and it doesn't even occur to people to criticize you.

    ReplyDelete