Add It To My List: March 2018


 Link-up creators are Lauren from Eat, Drink, & Be Lauren and Bre from Bre Writes. Basically, they are always recommending things to each other- podcasts, television shows, music, blah blah blah. And they figured- why not share even further?


  • This twitter thread from Linda Tirado which talks about the psychology of being poor and the transition to middle-class. As someone who grew up relatively poor (family was on Food Stamps & had Medicaid for health care), and is know kinda not poor (own a home, vehicles, pay for my own food & insurance, score?)...this almost made me cry. I mentioned previously that hubs & I have a halfway plan to get out of debt. Like...within the next two years if not one year. And in a way I'm terrified, because I STILL DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE POOR. The idea of savings and future and all is just still so damn hard for me to grasp, and I've never seen or heard anyone talk about it before but holy fuck she put it into words and YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES
  • This podcast from Girls Girls Podcast- talks about the anxiety from social media, but also about reframing the Monica Lewinsky scandal in the wake of the #MeToo movement.  
    • This is the Vanity Fair article referenced. 
  • This podcast from Delete This, which is a podcast where Hank Green and his wife Katherine go over his twitter feed from the last week. Which sounds terrible, but it's suprisingly great (mainly because Katherine cares nothing about social media or fame and it's lovely- even if I can't tell her because she doesn't care). Mainly the first five minutes, because it's the first tweet they discuss where Hank talks about his privilege and safety net growing up and acknowledging how helpful that is and yeah...it was just nice to hear acknowledged and also maybe helpful for people who have that net but don't think about those who don't. 
  • Why Representation in Media  Matters (To Me) by Emily Hornburg
    • A beautiful piece about 1) representation of OTHER PEOPLE being okay, and 2) the different ways we can relate to media and how it doesn't have to be an exact match to be meaningful.


What's on your list this month?

4 comments

  1. Gosh, there are so many podcasts out there and I have hardly listened to any. I need to make more time for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read the representation article. OMG thanks for sharing. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww thanks for the shout out! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like we were poor when I was growing up, but probably not as poor as I thought. I was on reduced (and free for a time) lunches and I remember after my parents divorced we had food stamps and medicade. I know that I am definitely not poor now. For me, I can't see the extra money. I have it automatically deposited into an account that I don't use. I only consider the money in my checking account to be expendable. Savings accounts are not for using in my brain. Even for vacations. Most of the time, I pay for a vacation in chunks out of my checking account. It's weird. I also feel anxious when I see a lot of money in my checking account (like over the normal levels). When that I happens and I know that the surplus doens't need to go towards anything (vacation/bills/etc), then I'll transfer it to the savings account(s) that I don't use. Essentially, an out of sight, out of mind approach. I can see how that probably wouldn't work for others though.

    ReplyDelete