Show Us Your Books Link-Up: April 2018



It's the best day of the month!!! Bloggy-wise anyway, in my humble opinion. It's the day of the Show Us Your Books link-up, where we talk about all the good/bad/ugly books we've read in the past month.

I will probably end up doing a separate post and specific blog review, because...it deserves it. But the short version that I put on Goodreads right after finishing is:
This book made me feel A LOT OF FEELINGS. It’s an honest and plain look at poverty and family and pride and conformity and nonconformity and values and self-sufficiency and addiction and determination and culture. It examines a life that we rarely read or hear about, but that many people in America live daily. It acknowledges the good, bad, and ugly- which is important because all people and lives have a little of each.  
READ IT NOW. 
★★★★


I enjoyed this book...but I didn't love it. Decent family drama...some things were done well and others could have been handled much better- well, not even better but more in depth. It passed the time fine until the end which really pissed me off. The author may have been trying to do something worthwhile but it feel incredibly flat to me. Passed the time okay but don't rush to it. 
★★★


Maureen Johnson is awesome on Twitter, let's just get that out of the way. I became aware of her through John Green, and enjoyed one of her earlier books. I was halfway spoiled on this, mainly because I didn't know it was the first in a series. Someone online commented about guessing the "big twist" leading to the next book so I kept trying to guess the twist or see if it really was that easy and I hate doing that. I generally don't try to see what's happening in a book, I prefer to just let it happen without too much expectation. So that warped my view- but overall this was a really interesting story and I will definitely pick up the rest of the series. It's sort of a Sherlock-meets-Harry Potter-meets-Breakfast Club YA, and I dug it.
This is the final book in the Paper Magician trilogy. It has been a while since I read the first two books, but I saw this at the library and wanted to finish the set. It was really enjoyable, as the first two were. The world and ways of magic are really interesting, and I almost wish there would be more. Definitely feel like there is a lot more that could be written, and also a little curious about Bennett & Mg. Prit...

What have you been reading this month? 
Link-up & let us know!
Life According to Steph

18 comments

  1. Adding Glass Castle right now! It sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly Devious unfortunately didn't rock my world, although I loved the past mystery parts but the modern day mystery, less so. But I'm an old coot and think that affected my enjoyment. The Paper Magician trilogy is on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I love Maureen. A lot of people don't seem to love Truly Devious - I guess because it's so much a "first book in a series" but I'm glad to hear you did!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie N Holmberg is releasing a fourth magician book! The Plastic Magician! I want to say it's about their daughter...? But don't quote me on that. I'm pretty excited for it.

    I tried to read the Glass Castle a couple years ago and I couldn't do it. The parents made me so angry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm i haven't read the Paper Magician trilogy, i might have to check it out now that it's finished. i've heard great things about the glass castle, it's on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been itnrigued by the paper Magician series - so you recommend all 3 of them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Glass Castle was so good. SO GOOD. The movie adaptation wasn't terrible, either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Glass Castle is a punch in the stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still need to find my way to Glass Castle, I got it from the library, but was caught up with other books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, you have convinced me to read The Glass Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed The Glass Castle. I had a very deep connection with it, because I grew up about 20 miles away from Welch, WV. So glad you enjoyed it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Glass Castle has been on my bookshelf for years! I guess I should read it sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Sherlock-meets-Harry Potter-meets-Breakfast Club YA" Uhm...sign me up right now. I need to get this book on my list stat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read The Glass Castle several years ago but really need to read it again. I remember it giving me lots of feelings too. And I'm intrigued by Truly, Devious, that sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glass Castle sounds interesting, so does Maureen Johnson's book by how you described it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Glass Castle is on my nightstand. It was a gift and I WILL get to it this spring/summer. Just gotta finish all the library books first...

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Glass Castle is so important, but I think it might be too much for me to read. I keep a kinda strict mental diet, but it's good to have in my back pocket when I need something serious. :) I want to read Truly Devious, that sounds great! I have the magician series on my ipad. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok I am really interested in the Glass Castle!

    ReplyDelete