Show Is Your Books: October 2016




Alright guys, my computer has decided to crap out...who knows if it's for good or not. Anyway, I'm trying this on my iPad so apologies if this post looks horrible.

My reading streak hasn't been bad, although I did hit a bit if a slump. But I started Delirum last night and I'm hoping that will break it!
This book gave me ALL THE FEELS you guys. It follows a family of women- an Indian woman who gives up a daughter for adoption due to familial/societal pressure, the adoptive white mother, the child, the adoptive grandmother. It discusses love and ethnicity and family and seriously you NEED to read this book right now.


Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes
Ah, Joe. Joe Joe Joe. I still feel bad for how much I sometimes enjoy Joe. He's back in his sarcastic, pervy, self-righteous glory. I enjoyed the East Coast versus West Coast observations (and truly, this book made me happy to be an "Easterner") but gotta say...not sure how I'm feeling about Love. I mean really...wtf? It seems kind of unbelievable..Kepnes has said their will be more Joe in the future so I'm going to need a lot of background on this crazy chick. 



B+



Everland by Wendy Spinale
This is a steam-punk, dystopian version of Peter Pan. It is told from the POV of both Wendy and Captain Hook, and multiple perspectives are usually a sign that I'll like the book. It just gives e book more depth IMO. This was an Audible book and hubs really liked it too.

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
I know, I'm soooo late to the game on this one. But it was super cute! Don's way of thinking and reasoning things out was interesting and somewhat adorable. Also the side characters felt very rich- I would totally read about Claudia and Jean on their own.

B


Naked Heat by Richard Castle 
This is the second book in the Nikki Heat series, and captured my interest more than the first one. I'm not rushing out to get the next one, but if I find it (these were random used bookstore finds) I'd give it a go.



Sorry for the lack of cover pics- technology hates me today.


PSA:
If you have anything, even 5$, to donate to the relief effort for Hurricane Matthew please do so! 
We are experiencing major flooding here in Eastern ENC and people seem to think that it's fine because the storm has left...it's not. Due to river runoff we are actually expecting things to be the WORST in the next 72 hours as all the water flows into our rivers from the west. This is projected to be the second biggest disaster for the region- second only to Floyd in 1999. Places in SC and GA are even worse. I spent half the day yesterday gathering supplies for evacuees and helping people move- literally dozens of strangers just converging on homes, throwings in bags, and trying to find storage units outside the flood zone. Anything you can spare will be greatly appreciated, I garuntee it.




Life According to Steph

9 comments

  1. I never loved Joe enough to pick up book 2. He just annoyed me. But I'm glad you enjoyed him! :)

    Hurricane note: I know people that are out and about in Fayetteville right now and I just want to shake them. JUST STAY HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read You earlier this year and I really loved it, but I had heard so many negative things about the sequel. I'm glad that you really enjoyed it, and it's encouraging me to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently read Secret Daughter and absolutely loved it too. Have you read The Golden Son by her yet? Maybe I already mentioned it before but I think you would enjoy it too if you liked Secret Daughter :) Also really loved The Rosie Project :) (I didn't enjoy the second book as much but it was still fun)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Secret Daughter a few years ago and really liked it to. And I adored The Rosie Project! The sequel was a bit annoying (Rosie was insufferable at times), but still fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. secret daughter has been on my list for ages. i wasn't as big a fan of hidden bodies as i was You. loved the rosie project though (but not the second one).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't a fan of You or Joe, so Hidden Bodies is a hard no for me but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm adding The Secret Daughter to my TBR. I'm adopted and sometimes I find authors don't handle adoption story-lines very well (and I'm ultra-sensitive to them too) but it sounds like this one really does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donated to hurricane relief. Stay safe!

    Sold! On Secret Daughter.

    I can't wait for more Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE JOE!!! MORE JOE!!!

    I enjoyed The Rosie Project. DNF the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've heard of Secret Daughters, but adding it to my TBR list right now. I've almost read You a few times, but have never picked it up for some reason.

    ReplyDelete