The Commandments of Me



Definitely stealing this from Jana, but I think that'll be okay since she took it from someone else too.

It's basically just a list of fundamental beliefs that I try to stick to. I've actually been thinking about this a lot since Maisie is on the way- what kind of role model am I going to be for her? What principles do I want to demonstrate to her?

Here is what I came up with:

1. Learn to forgive. 
  • It is not about the other person, it is about the fact that Christ has forgiven you. Also, the burden of holding on to that hurt and anger is only hurting yourself. Give up the self-righteousness and let it go. 

2. There are a lot of different ways to live life. 
  • It doesn't matter if the So & So's have an open marriage, if the XYZ's are having another baby, if your neighbors spent more on their house than you would have. You do what feels right, based on your morals, and trust that others will do the same. If you don't like their choices, don't be in their lives. But also don't feel the need to talk about it all the time either. Just shhh. 

3. Don't take people's attitudes personally. 
  • They probably don't care about you. Just being honest. It's way more likely that the rude cashier is pissed off at the person who was ahead of you in line who got mad she wouldn't take their expired coupon, or at the manager threatening to fire her if she DID give in to the angry customer. Can we all agree that pretending to be friends with strangers is weird, and not necessary for your fast food to be prepared safely and your change calculated correctly?

4. Love your hobbies, with passion and enthusiasm.
  • Everyone needs a hobby. Otherwise, you'll be bored and too invested in other people's lives (see 1-3 above). And there is no use in having a hobby if you don't really enjoy it, so don't worry about being cool. Just be giddy and enjoy it. 

5. Everyone should know how to cook a meal and do a load of laundry. 
  • It's not about gender, it's about the basic ability to take care of yourself as an adult human.  

6. Spend some time in nature.
  • It's one of the best things you can do for your mental health. I'm not saying it's a replacement for therapy or medication, or to dismiss mental health issues. There are people who suffer from chemical imbalances that need more than a day at the beach. But I truly believe (and environmental psych backs me up) that getting fresh air in a natural surrounding is one of the best things we can do for ourselves, on so many levels.

 7. Do something active.
  • Find something physical that you like doing. It doesn't have to be the gym, or running. Maybe it's swimming, or surfing, or dancing around your living room for 30 minutes at a time. But seriously, just do it. It makes you feel better in so many ways.   

8. Read.
  • I don't care if it's comic books, best sellers, or bodice-rippers. Hell, I don't care if it's a bunch of Little Golden Books or the cereal box. But read something, fairly often. 

9. Take Pictures.
  • I know, people always hate taking pictures and the way they look. But documentation of your life is important. Even if it's not important to you, it matters to your friends and family. Everyone deserves something to hold on to, and those pictures are inexplicably tied to memories. Just smile and suck it up.   

10. Explore. 
  • Not all of us can travel to faraway countries, but there are parks and museums and Geocaching. Do some research about your state or county. Even in the smallest towns there is something of interest. Be interested and open to the world around you. 

1 comment

  1. YES to numbers 3 and 8 especially! I don't necessarily think it's ok to be rude to people, but I hate fake, chit-chatty conversations so much. I'd prefer to not have them. So when the cashier is pleasant enough but not overly so, I am happy with it.

    And as for read... honestly, nothing bothers me more than people who say they "don't read." I'm not saying you have to read leather bound books... but even reading the news or a well written blog about something you enjoy... mentally stimulate yourself in some way.

    I need to get way better at #1. I hold grudges to the point that I forget why I'm mad. It's a problem.

    ReplyDelete