Add It To My List: April 2017


 Link-up creators are Lauren from Eat, Drink, & Be Lauren and Bre from Bre Writes. Basically, they are always recommending things to each other- podcasts, television shows, music, blah blah blah. And they figured- why not share even further?

 Y'all, this month has completely snuck up on me (apparently Blogger doesn't recognize snuck as a word...should it be sneaked? That sounds wrong...). Usually I have a draft going all month long that I add things too...guess I didn't do that this month.

  • Up First 
    • This is an NPR podcast (dear God, how I love NPR) that gives you daily news in a 10-20 minute burst. It seems fairly unbiased (ok, NPR may lean a little left but it at least mentions both sides of an issue or just sticks to facts of what is happening). It also doesn't drag on so long that I lose hope for all that is good in the world. 

  • 13 Reasons Why 
    • This is a Netflix show based on Jay Asher's book. It's controversial- deals with rape, suicide, and general morality. Some argue that it glorifies suicide, rather than presenting it as a tragedy...I don't know about that. It's a difficult show to watch, and may be a trigger for some...but it's definitely worth discussing and thinking about. If nothing else, it shows the way we all affect each other, for better or worse, and we need to take more responsibility for our actions. That's not being sensitive, it's just not being a dick.

  • Lularoe Perfect-T 
    •  I finally jumped on the damn LLR bandwagon. Feelings so far: Probably priced too high, leggings are cool but you can find cheaper, pencil skirt (Cassie?) is cute and comfy...maybe could find cheaper, but depends on if you like patterns...but this Perfect-T. I freakin' love it. Can wear with leggins, can belt it with jeans...it's super cute and fits my hip-y self perfectly (not free love hippie....just short girl with curves hip-y). 

  • The idea of Free Range Parenting 
    •   I vaguely remember this being a big thing a few years ago...now as a parent it seems I am way more into this idea than the current wave of helicopter parenting. Basically- give your kids some independence. They'll survive. Statistically speaking, they'll almost certainly be fine. 

  • Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil
    • This was our dinner last night and it was soooo yummy! Although next time we will probably add more shrimp and/or sausage- I was full but we didn't have enough to have leftovers, which is big in our family.


Seems like as good a place as any to ask- I am looking for frugal/budget blogs and also minimalist/simple living blogs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

What have you been loving this month? 
Link-up & share!

9 comments

  1. I have 13 reasons why on my list after we are done with Big Little Lies. I have heard nothing but good things about it. Off to read about free range parenting. I am probably a mix of both haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Perfect T also as well as the maxi skirts. The Amazon version of the leggings are good except for the waistband. I prefer the LLR waistband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100% on the free-range parenting. I let my daughter make mistakes (so she can learn about consequences) ie. if she leaves her homework at school, oh well; she'll then have to deal with the zero and have to deal with her teacher. if she is stubborn and won't wear a warmer jacket (because Canada) against my advice, then she stays cold during the day at recess etc and will learn that Canadian weather is volatile! kids learn fast when they learn about consequences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I subscribed to The Skimm and I get an email each morning with a short news update. I feel like I'm keeping up and I don't feel frustrated with the BS. I won't say it's completely unbiased, but less so than other mass media outlets.

    I won't lie, the LR Perfect Tee is one of my faves. The Randy is also hard for me to ignore. I get soo many compliments in my perfect tee though since I actually look like I have a figure. I do wish they were a little less pricey though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, "Free-range parenting." I'm surprised there's a term for that, but I guess there needs to be since so many people swing the opposite way now. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd be able to let a 9-year-old go free in New York City, but I also don't live there so it seems scarier to me. Sincerely hoping I don't get too helicopter-y!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How does the fit work on those Perfect T - i've gotten the leggings but afraid to try the shirts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for joining team LLR! I agree that the leggings are overpriced, but I did get a dress as well and love how comfortable it is! And the patterns... so many options! That sheet pan shrimp boil looks easy and delish too- I'll definitely be trying that out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked 13 Reasons Why, too. I didn't think it glorified things at all. If I was still commuting, I would be all over that NPR podcast! Working from home, it's hard to find time for my favorites. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok so now I might try out 13 Reasons Why. All I've seen is internet moms complaining about their middle schoolers watching it and my hipster tendencies don't allow me to participate in things internet moms talk about lol. Also thank you for reminding me to subscribe to the podcast!!!

    ReplyDelete