Show Us Your Books Link-Up: April 2017


It's the best bloggy day of the month-SHOW US YOUR BOOKS!

Also...I have to start actually blogging again. Been severely slacking lately...I'll work on it. Maybe.

Anyway, here's what I've been reading.


Finally got around to it- thanks to the many SUYBers who recommended it. It was superb. Excellent writing, realistic characters, I could identify with literally everyone in some way. It was life and messy and vulnerable and wrong and right and confusing and mysterious and basically it rocked.
★★★★★


This one took longer for me to get into, but by the end I was completely absorbed. It's a debut novel and definitely felt like that at times- especially the present relationships, between Inara and Daniel, came off a little cheesy. But the plot itself was really interesting and imaginative. 
★★★★

This was my first graphic novel! Definitely a different experience. Because I am so used to reading standard novels, it was admittedly hard for me to slow down and actually pay attention to the graphics...which is a big part of a graphic novel! But I enjoyed the illustrations- I almost wish I had read this first to get an idea of the characters in my head during the rest of the series. Not sure why it was all blue- wish there had been a bit more variation. But overall still really pleasant and interesting.
★★★★

It's been kind of a slow month, but I'm making really good progress on my yearly goal so I'm cool with it. And my current read (Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams by Sylvia Plath) will finish out Erin's Reading Challenge 6.0 which is nice. 


What have you been reading lately?


Life According to Steph

16 comments

  1. I set my reading challenge to the same amount I managed to read last year and I'm almost 100% certain that's not going to happen. But I'm glad to have had a chance to read, even if it's less than I want. :P I've never read a graphic novel! Does graphic novel mean comic book or are they different somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Wires and Nerves and wished that it wasn't all blue as well. I read my first graphic novels (well, I'd read ONE in college...) in March too. The graphics were varied which made it really fun to look at. I'll still read Wires and Nerves... but I'm in less of a hurry for sure. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mother's sounds like something I need to check out. Off to Goodreads I go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah i don't read graphic novels but i'm sure i would have the same troubles with slowing down. the mothers is on my list! waiting for it from the library...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Mothers was so, so good. One of my favorites of last year.

    I struggle with graphic novels, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Mothers sounds like one I would really enjoy, and happy to see another positive review for it! Adding to TBR. I tried to read a graphic novel once in college because it was assigned and just couldn't get into it (Watchmen), but I may have to give it another shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adored The Mothers. So beautifully written and it broke my heart in so many places. I have not read a graphic novel yet but was curious Wires and Nerves since it's part of the Lunar Chronicles. My library does have it so might be great place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good write up on The Mothers - that sums up why I liked it too.

    No graphic novels for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sometimes have the same problem with graphic novels. I get really into either the graphics or the words but have trouble tying them together and not missing one of them. I didn't realize they made a Lunar Chronicles graphic novel. I want to get back into reading that series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard so many great things about The Mothers! I definitely need to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Mothers is on my TBR so I am glad to hear someone else loving it. I have never tried a graphics novel before. I get distracted easily so I am not sure if they would be for me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to read Winter still but then I need to get Wires and Nerves. I LOVE graphic novels - I hope you read more.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Mothers has been on my to read list. I should try to get to that soon! The Girl Who Wrote in Silk looks interesting. I like a good historical fiction read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think one of the things I love most about this linkup is that I instantly recognized the cover of The Mothers. Couldn't think of the title, but knew I'd seen it around here before, haha. Haven't gotten around to it yet but I'm glad to hear another good review for it; on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked The Mothers well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like Marissa Meyer so I'm going to have to check that graphic novel out!

    ReplyDelete